Monday, April 9, 2012

Poplar Grove UMC Cemetery in Wilbur, IN

One of the cemeteries closest to me is in the little village of Wilbur, IN (Morgan County). The town isn't big enough for its own postal code, stop light, or school. It has a corner store, a couple of tiny churches, and this cemetery.

From the side gate into the churchyard
Older side of the churchyard



Stout is one of my family names, and I was excited to find some Stouts in the Poplar Grove churchyard. I know they aren't likely to be kin to me, as my family lineage is almost entirely traced through the South, but the graves date back far enough that I can't be positive of some distant relation.

Marker for a Stout family plot, though only Inas (below) has an extent headstone.

Headstone of Inas Stout


Headstone of Walker Stout, with other Civil War soldiers in older section of cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment